{a glimpse into our world}








Saturday, February 05, 2011

ROOM by Emma Donoghue

4 out of 5 stars!

room

This book was so good-- and very different from any other book I’ve ever read. The story is about a mother and son-- locked up in a shed (“room”) by a man that kidnapped the mother 7 years prior. The son, Jack, is 5 years old and has never been outside Room. Ma is 26 years old- she was kidnapped by “old Nick” at age 19. The story is told by Jack-- through his 5 year old eyes. Although there were things in the story that should have been elaborated on, I had to remind myself that this was Jack’s story-- how he saw things. Very emotional book…

I finished it yesterday and can’t stop thinking about it. It’s not a haunting story, but it will definitely stay with you.


2 comments:

The Shavers Family said...

I can't believe my luck, opening my Reader and find this blog update by you with a review on "Room"! I was just asking around to see if anyone had read it/enjoyed it because I'm needing a new book! Thank you, can't wait to check this one out!

mary said...

glad to help! ;) i really enjoyed this book. it's a quick read.
i'm going to try and do mini reviews of the books i read this year. i've wanted to keep a reading journal-- but that hasn't worked out. maybe i'll have better luck blogging them...